The Participant must read and abide by all the terms and conditions before taking part in the challenge. The participation in the challenge shall imply that Participant has read through and agreed to adhere to the terms and conditions and be bound by them and that his/her participation in the challenge is at the Participant's sole risk and is governed by the terms and conditions.
Any Participant who submits a challenge, must do so through; the web portal www.lifebuoychallenge.lk or via Post to address mentioned below Please Print on Top Left Hand Corner of Envelope 'Lifebuoy Challenge' and send it by registered post to the following address.
Ernst & Young Advisory Services (Pvt) Ltd
No 201, De Saram Place
Note: Please retain the Registered Post Receipt in case of dispute
The claim along with the required mandatory documents / copies/ photographs must be uploaded in the Claim form on the website or send by registered post within the period of the challenge as mentioned above. Ernst & Young Sri Lanka will not entertain any Claim received through any other mode / medium
Participants are advised to keep original copies of all mandatory documents even after he/she submitted the claim for validation.
Participants are instructed to contact only E & Y on General Line - 0112463500 (Between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and ask for the Lifebuoy Challenge Helpdesk from Monday to Friday except mercantile holidays) for any Lifebuoy Challenge related inquiries
Lifebuoy Consumer Challenge Terms & Conditions
The Participant must read and abide by all the terms and conditions before taking part in the challenge. The participation in the challenge shall imply that Participant has read through and agreed to adhere to the terms and conditions and be bound by them and that his/her participation in the challenge is at the Participant's sole risk and is governed by the terms and conditions herein.
Lanka Market Research Bureau (Pvt) Limited, a research agency
Volume Market Share Report dated from 1st June 2013 to 31st May 2014 (cumulative 12 months) for category - Toilet Soaps.
A person of 18 years of age or above as on the date of making a Claim
All Products under Brand based on manufacturer – Brand level in the LMRB report
This Lifebuoy "Laksha 10" Challenge 2014, by whatever name called
The period between first airing date and last airing date in 2014 of the challenge within which a Claimant is required to enter the Claim on the Claim web-site or send by post subject to terms & conditions as outlined in this document.
A Claim entered on the Claim website/send by post by the Claimant claiming that his/her Claimed challenging soap meets the Challenge criteria as per the Terms and Conditions of the Challenge as outlined in this document.
A standard format to be filled in with all requisite details, available on the Claim web-site & News Papers.
The web-site www.lifebuoychallenge.lk on which Claims must be entered.
Any Sri Lankan citizen of 18 years of age or above as on the date of entering the Claim on the Claim web-site or send by post, who enters a Claim on the Claim web-site/send via post by accepting the terms and conditions of the Challenge.
Hereafter refers to a cleansing agent (Substance used with water for washing and cleaning of the Body) [m2] which are commercially available for sale. This includes Toilet Soap (SLS 34: 2009), Bathing Bars (SLS 1220: 2001) & Baby Soap (SLS 547: 2009) while excluding all other categories of products as per SL Standards.
Criteria (Testing Protocol)*In-vitro Microbial efficacy test in reference to ASTM 2783-11 methodology, with a 8% w/v soap solution tested at 46 ±1 degree Centigrade for a contact time of 30 seconds, with E.coli ATCC 10536 as an indicator organism
Product testing will be carried out as per above criteria
M/S Ernst & Young Advisory Services (Pvt) Ltd (Independent 3rd party) The firm Ernst & Young Advisory Services (Pvt) Ltd (Hereafter refers to EY) who are the sole moderator of the activity and will carry out the entire process for the purpose of transparency and impartiality.
Unilever Sri Lanka Limited The company, Unilever Sri Lanka Limited (Hereafter refers to USL), manufacturers Lifebuoy soap that has put forward the challenge.
2 The Claim / Challenge
- I. "What is the claim / challenge?"
No commercially manufactured and sold Soap as define above, available in Sri Lanka with the specified market share as defined by these Terms & Conditions; provides better germ protection than Lifebuoy Total Bathing Bar as per testing protocol outlined in definition*.
USL pay Rs 1,000,000 to the first successful Sri Lankan challenger who submits the challenge with complete documentation, the results of which should disprove the claim.
- II. Testing protocol
In-vitro Microbial efficacy test in reference to ASTM 2783-11 methodology, with a 8% w/v soap solution tested at 46 ±1 degree Centigrade for a contact time of 30 seconds, with E.coli ATCC 10536 as an indicator organism
- III. Name of the challenge
Lifebuoy "Laksha 10" Challenge
3 Challenge Criteria
In order to participate in the challenge, the claimed Soap (as referred above) shall be:
- I. The product/soap/Brand must be produced in Sri Lanka, and not imported.
- II. Only soaps/Brands/products whose variants (different varieties) have had a Volume share of the market greater than 0.9% of market from 1st June 2013 to 31st May 2014 (Cumulative 12 months) shall be considered eligible for the challenge (the shares will be as those provided by LMRB Sri Lanka) the Market shares will be available on request at EY general number 0112463500 ext. 475 (Between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and ask for the Lifebuoy Challenge Helpdesk from Monday to Friday except mercantile holidays).
- III. The period of manufacture of the product eligible for challenge (as mentioned above) should be commercially available in the market between 1st June 2013 and 15th August 2014
- IV. A photograph of an actual sample of the soap eligible for challenge (As mentioned above) along with a wrapper and purchase receipt must be provided to confirm the veracity of the manufacturing date of the same. The sample must be of a soap (As mentioned above) that meets the criteria of the product variant having had a market share greater than 0.9% of the volume of the market during the mentioned period.
- V. The claimed product must qualify test without the addition of any chemicals, or any form of additive as it was in the time of purchase of the product.
3.1 Who can take the challenge?
- I. The challenge is open to any Sri Lankan Adult Citizen, i.e. aged 18 and above, currently residing in Sri Lanka.
- II. The Claimant must have a valid NIC to participate in this Challenge
- III. Employees of the Company, its agreed agency/body holding the Challenge, their families and immediate relatives are not eligible to participate in this Challenge.
- IV. Companies, partnerships, Foundations and NGOs, and other forms of legal entities cannot participate.
- V. A person can participate only once as Claimant
- VI. Joint entries are not permitted
3.2 Period of the Challenge
- i. The Challenge is valid from the first airing date (15th August 2014 to 15th November 2014 ) of the Challenge on mass medium (including but not limited to Television (Satellite and Terrestrial), Print, Radio, Digital (Internet), Mobile, Out of Home, Outdoor, Point of Sale and any other) with submissions accepted up to 15th November 2014
- ii. The Challenge can end at the sole discretion of the Company, the Company reserves the right to close the Challenge submissions without any communication in view of any Force Majeure or direction by any regulatory authority and the Company shall bear no responsibility arising out of the closure of the said Challenge.
3.3 Claim lodging process:
The following clauses define the process of lodging a Claim, which must be followed by the Claimant. Any deviation from the defined process will be disqualified.
- I. The Claimant must read, understand and agree to accept all the Terms and Conditions of participation, prior to submitting the Claim and even otherwise, once the Claim is submitted, no dispute can be raised later on the Terms and Conditions, Re-Testing method, Testing protocol, and the process adopted.
- II. Any Participant who submits a challenge, must do so through;
the web portal www.lifebuoychallenge.lk or via Post to address mentioned below
Please Print on Top Left Hand Corner of Envelope 'Lifebuoy Challenge' and send it by registered post to the following address.
Ernst & Young Advisory Services (Pvt) Ltd
No 201, De Saram Place
Note: Please retain the Registered Post Receipt in case of dispute
- III. The claim along with the required mandatory documents / copies/ photographs must be uploaded in the Claim form on the website or send by registered post within the period of the challenge as mentioned above. EY will not entertain any Claim received through any other mode / medium.
- IV. All original documents must be submitted for verification purposes and only after verification the Claim shall be considered valid and EY or USL are not responsible for the loss and non-receipt of original document.
- V. Claims once submitted cannot be modified.
- VI. The Claimant will be issued a unique claim number, on the basis of which the claim shall be tracked by the EY team.
- VII. The product/soap/Brand must be locally produced, and not imported.
- VIII. A photograph of the actual sample of the soap considered eligible for challenge along with a wrapper with the manufacturing date clearly legible must be provided online on the website or by registered post to confirm the Brand and variant as well as the veracity of the manufacturing date of the claimant.
- IX. All Claims received will follow a defined process to determine if they are complete, accurate and aligned with the T&C of this Challenge. This process has been defined by EY for the purpose of this Challenge. EY believes it is a fair process and hence, the process is not subject to being queried or changed by any Claimant. This process as defined by EY shall be final & binding and cannot be questioned in any manner what so ever.
4 Claim evaluation / validation process:
- I. All Valid claims received will be sorted by the different brands of Claimed Soap. Once the above has been determined, the First Valid Claimant for each qualifying Claimed Soap will be sent a letter communicating the outcome of results of comparison of Lifebuoy versus the Claimed Soap or a representative soap, as may be already available, or as may be tested subsequently. The communication of such results will depend on evaluation and availability of existing test results performed by USL or EY
- II. If the Claimant is not satisfied after receiving the above letter, the Claimant must communicate the disagreement to USL or EY in writing within 15 days of receipt of letter. In case if no communication is received by USL or EY within 15 days, USL would consider the Claimant is in agreement with the communications made and the Challenge will come to an end.
- III. After receiving the such disagreement letter(s) from the Claimant, USL or EY will send an invite letter to the Claimant, requesting the Claimant to visit EY office and view the Laboratory test results of the tests performed as per the Test protocol in the T&C, for Lifebuoy and the other Soaps which are eligible or representative soaps as per the T&C of the Challenge. If the Claimant selected to be present cannot come for the testing, the Challenge for the respective Claimed Soap brand will come to an end.
- IV. The Challenge will end at this point, if the test data is able to satisfactorily prove the Claim made by USL
- V. However, if the Claim is not proven to the satisfaction of the Claimant, then the Claimant can have an option for a test of product retrieved from open market as per the Test Protocol which shall be conducted by the Laboratory and the results shall be validated independently. Performing this test and obtaining test results will be subject to timelines committed by Laboratory. Conclusions based on the test results and, a copy of test performed as per the Test protocol and verified independently, will be sent to the Claimant in hard-copy. Charges for this test will be borne by the Claimant and USL will not be liable to pay any charges on account of test request made by the Claimant.
- VI Below is the process flow chart -
5 Winning and winner determination
- I. In the event that there is a successful claim meeting the challenge criteria, the Challenge shall come to an end once the winner is selected.
- II. Who shall be the winner the first valid claim received based on the date and time (with the Lifebuoy Challenge date stamp in the custody of EY) of the claims received and T&C fulfilled. All subsequent claims submitted for any Brand/manufacturer/variant (claims made after the FIRST claim which meets the challenge criteria is submitted) will not be considered after the first one has been deemed to be successful, and will be rejected at that time.
- III. The communication process of the results of the Challenge to the Claimant will be via e-mail or by registered post.
- IV. The exact amount to be paid after deductions will be Rs. 1,000,000, (LKR one million only) and any other direct and indirect cost borne by the claimant shall not be paid.
- V. The payment shall be made by cheque.
- VI. Copyright in all documents submitted as part of this Challenge shall remain vested with USL and USL shall be entitled to use the same as and when required for advertisements, communication, etc.
- VII. In the event that a claim is found fraudulent, USL reserves the right to recover the money by taking necessary legal action.
- VIII. Communication by Claimant with Media, or manufacturers / marketers of competing organizations to USL is prohibited and will disqualify the claim.
6 General Terms and Conditions
In case of any copyright or any other Intellectual Property Rights violations of any third party or any damages arising out of the entry submitted as part of the Challenge, the onus, responsibility and consequences thereof shall be on the Participant.
- i. The challenge is only applicable to citizens of Sri Lanka residing in Sri Lanka and for soap manufactured and sold in Sri Lanka
- ii. Claims will be accepted in English, Sinhala & Tamil
- iii. The decision of EY on all matters regarding the claims is final and binding on the Claimants. Participants in the claim process are tantamount to agreeing to these T&C.
- iv. EY, USL and its agents and contractors shall not be responsible if any claims are not received, or lost in transit or deleted or corrupted and that EY or USL are not responsible if emails/letters sent to EY as part of the Claim validation process are not received, or received late; and furthermore neither EY or USL are responsible if emails/letters sent to claimants are not received or are received late.
- v. The claimant permits USL to use free of cost, name, photograph, video footages and factual information about their claim in public media.
- vi. At its sole discretion, the Company reserves the right to close the Challenge submissions without giving any communication including due to any Force Majeure conditions or direction by any regulatory authority or otherwise and the Company shall bear no responsibility arising out of the closure of the said Challenge.
- vii. The Company shall not be liable for any damage or loss (including but not limited to any indirect or consequential loss) arising from personal injury or death, or loss of, or damage to property, which might be suffered or sustained in connection with the Challenge, except to the extent to any liability not excluded by law.
- viii. The Participant agrees and undertakes to indemnify and keep the Company including its Affiliates, directors, officers, partners, employees, consultants, agents etc. harmless and indemnified against any loss, damage, claims, costs and expenses including but not limited to legal fees and other charges which may be incurred or suffered by the Company due to breach of any Terms and Conditions contained herein by the Participant and/or infringement or violation of any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary right of a third party by the Participant and, or, arising from the participation of the Participant in the Challenge.
- ix. Nothing in the Challenge shall affect any intellectual property rights of the Company in any product, which may be the subject matter of the Challenge.
- x. These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of Sri Lanka.